For 1 Batch(es) ()
- 3 tablespoon(s) garlic salt
- 4 green bell peppers
- 6 tablespoon(s) salt
- 1/2 cup(s) vegatable oil
- 9 onions
- 9 tablespoon(s) Italian seasoning
- 1/2 gallon(s) tomato paste - optional
- 2 teaspoon(s) pepper
- 6 tablespoon(s) sugar
- 4 gallon(s) tomatos
- 2 teaspoon(s) chili powder
Grandma Hardy's Spaghetti Sauce Directions
- Peel Tomatos by placing them in boiling water for 30 seconds to 2 minutes or until the skin starts to crack, then core tomatos.
- Chop all ingredients into uniform pieces and place it into a large pot.
- If you are using the tomato paste cook for 1 - 2 hours on medium low
- If you are not using the tomato paste cook for 4 - 5 hours
- Place in sterilized jars and process for 20 minutes.
- The original recipe calls for 1/2 bushel of tomatos. Who ever has a bushel measurement around? We have estimated that 3/4 of a 5 gallon bucket is the equivalent of a 1/2 bushel.
- Grandma uses the tomato paste, I do not. I like the way the flavors intensify when it cooks a long time and I cook it until it thickens.
- If processed and stored correctly this will last on your shelf a long time.
- We use it as speghetti sauce, sauce to make lasagna, makes a great sauce for eggplant parmesan, and so on. Use your imagination!
- For more info on canning refer to the canning articles on this blog